TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) – This is everything in your water that you may or may not be able to see.
ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential) – The amount of free O2 in water or lack thereof [we want there to be oxygen].
Hardness – The amount of minerals contained in water (calcium, magnesium, limestone, etc.)
- These minerals get deposited on surfaces and in appliances, which can cause damage to them.
- They also can build-up in plumbing lines, which can again cause costly repairs.
pH – Is an indicator of Acidity, Alkalinity, or Basicity.
Alkalinity – A measurement of the water’s capacity to neutralize acid.
Iron – Mainly present in water in two forms: soluble ferrous iron or insoluble ferric iron.
- Water containing ferrous iron is clear and colorless because the iron is completely dissolved.
- Water containing Ferric iron is reddish brown and sometimes sediment can be felt.
- Water with ferrous iron can become water with ferric iron when it is exposed to air (in the pressure tank or atmosphere).
Iron Bacteria – A naturally occurring organism that uses iron to survive while producing a reddish-brown or yellowish mucus and often times an offensive odor.
- This smelly biofilm can cause staining and clogs within your plumbing.
Chlorides – are components of Sodium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Calcium Sulfate, Chlorine.
- Low to moderate concentrations are ok for consumption.
Nitrates/Nitrites – Nitrates and nitrites are nitrogen-oxygen chemical compounds.
- They can combine with a variety of organic and inorganic elements.
- Once ingested, nitrates are converted into nitrites.
- The greatest use of nitrates is as a fertilizer.
Manganese – Organic minerals that causes black stains on clothes and a black slimy film in toilet tank.
Tannins – Natural organics produced by vegetation.
- Tannins produce a brown color in water.
- They will also react with iron to form a black residue.
- Organic iron and tannins are more frequently found in shallow wells, or wells under the influence of surface water.
Copper – This test shows if copper is in water from pipes (water-eating pipes).